Aims and Objectives of the SMP
Aim of SMP
SMPs aim to determine sustainable policies for management of the shoreline and to set a framework for the future management of erosion and flood risks along the coastline.
An SMP considers the objectives, policies and management requirements for 3 epochs; (a) present day (0-20 years); (b) medium-term (20-50 years); and (c) long-term (50-100 years).
Objectives of SMP
The Objectives of an SMP are:
- To define the flooding and erosion risks to people, and the developed, historic and natural environments
- To identify the preferred policies for managing those risks
- To identify consequences of implementing the preferred policies
- To set out procedures for monitoring the effectiveness of the policies
- To inform others so future land use and coastal zone development can take account of the risks, the time frame of risks and the policies
- To comply with environmental legislation and social obligations.